Philatelic Society of Lancaster County
The James Buchanan Chapter #173 of the American Philatelic Society
Chapter 118 of the American Topical Association
In the spirit of sharing and at the core of our mission, the Philatelic Society of Lancaster County is pleased to host this page for our regional Study Groups who elect to have the PSLC promote their efforts. The first such group is the PH&PSG, of which our very own Dr. Charles J. DiComo is a charter member.
Contact Charles at email@example.com if you would like your Study Group spotlighted here.
The Philatelic Gathering
In January 2019, seventeen stamp and postal history collectors, researchers and historians convened at Bill and Patricia Schultz’ home in West Chester, PA to discuss how “To Share our Love of Philately with Others”. Also in attendance was Ellen E. Endslow, the Director of Collections/Curator from the Chester County Historical Society (CCHS).
From this initial meeting, “The Philatelic Gathering” was formed to explore and share a myriad of topics. Meetings to be held on Saturdays from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM at the CCHS. For more info and how to participate, contact Bill Schultz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Charter Members of this group (order determined by lottery), with primary areas of oversight are as follows:
|#||NAME||Chair | Advisor | Consultant | Liaison|
|1||Dr. Paul Pitcheremail@example.com||Berks County and Railroads|
|2||Norm Shachatfirstname.lastname@example.org||Montgomery & Philadelphia Counties|
|3||Kean Spenceremail@example.com||U.S. Stamps|
|4||David Dewsnapfirstname.lastname@example.org||Stamp Collecting|
|5||Dr. Charles J. DiComoemail@example.com||U.S. Classics & Lancaster County|
|6||Pam Grayfirstname.lastname@example.org||Chester County History & League of Women Voters|
|7||Bill Schultzemail@example.com||Postal History & AAPE|
|8||Ellen E. Endslowfirstname.lastname@example.org||CCHS Liaison|
|9||Al Kaufmanemail@example.com||American History|
|10||Mark Schwartzfirstname.lastname@example.org||APS & British/Colonial Postal History|
|11||Ron Majorsemail@example.com||Civil War & BNAPS|
|12||Robert Rufe||Rrufe1@aol.com||Area Stamp Clubs; United States Stamp Society|
|13||Dr. Gus Spectorfirstname.lastname@example.org||Illustrated Mail & PA Postal History Society|
|14||Alan Warrenemail@example.com||Editorial, First Day Covers; AFDCS & Polar Society|
|15||John Howkerfirstname.lastname@example.org||Delaware & Northern Maryland|
|16||Vince Costelloemail@example.com||Fancy Cancels & Postal Markings|
|17||Michael Peichfirstname.lastname@example.org||Sports History & Baseball on Covers|
|18||Richard Colbergemail@example.com||Charles J. DiComo||2019-01-24|
|19||Charles Gedgefirstname.lastname@example.org||Michael Peich||2019-01-23|
|20||Aaron Heckleremail@example.com||Charles J. DiComo||2019-02-13|
225 N. High Street, West Chester PA, 19380. N.B.: after the meeting, whoever wants to join the group for a luncheon at a nearby restaurant in West Chester is welcome.
|Date||Lead | Host||Description|
|March 23||Kean Spencer||Format & content TBD. Mark Schwartz & Bill Schultz volunteered to display 16 pages each in Philatelic frames owned by CCHS (donation from APS). Expectation: describe what is the frames and answer questions.|
Topics for the First Three Years of Meetings
N.B. These topics are not cast in stone, but gives an initial place to begin our thinking and planning. As we check one off, we add one to the list… always keeping 27 ideas on the list.
1. Past, Present & Future of Philately
2. Why, Why Not Postal History?
3. Paper Restoration and Why
4. Use of Research Libraries (CCHS & American Philatelic Research Library [APRL])
5. New, Older Exhibiting Techniques
6. What About Philatelic Importance
7. Collecting Topical & Thematic
8. Postcard Collecting & Exhibiting
9. Estate Valuation Concerns
10. Why We Collect (Is it Genetics?)
11. The Joys & Sorrows of Philately
12. First Day Cover Collecting & Exhibiting
13. My Favorite Cover and/or Stamp
14. Tell A Philatelic (but) Brief Story
15. The Collector, Dealer Relationships
16. Writing Philatelic Articles
17. Revenues & Back of the Book (BOB)
18. The Bonds & Friendships of Philately
19. Buying & Selling – Do’s and Don’ts
20. Postal Routes, Markings & Rates
21. Transatlantic Mails
22. Civil War & Patriotic Covers
23. How Can We Help Each Other
24. Errors, Freaks & Oddities (EFO)
25. Forgeries & Expertization
26. Selecting Subject to Exhibit
27. What Societies Should I Join?