Philatelic Society of Lancaster County
The James Buchanan Chapter #173 of the American Philatelic Society
Chapter 118 of the American Topical Association
Officers, Committee Chairs and Board of Directors
As per the Society By-Laws, elected officers shall consist of the President, 1st and 2nd Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. In addition, the President shall appoint chairpersons to operate the following standing committees: Program, Membership & Hospitality, Newsletter, and Publicity. These nine persons will make up the Board of Directors. In addition, the Immediate Past President will serve as advisor to the Board without voting rights at Board meetings.
2020 Officers (3rd Term)
President: Dr. Charles J. DiComo
1st Vice President: John Hostetter
2nd Vice President: William Greiner, III
Secretary: David Weichert (not pictured)
Treasurer: Lou DiFelice
LANCOPEX Chairpersons: Lou DiFelice & Dick Shaefer
Auction Chairpersons: Lou DiFelice & Dick Shaefer
Membership Chair: Barbara Buchanan
PSLC Newsletter Editor, Programs & APS/ATA Representative: Paul Petersen
Publicity Chair: Len Kasper
U.S. Postal Service (USPS) Liaison: Diane Meek
Web Programmer & Designer Chair: Dr. Charles J. DiComo
Immediate Past President: Doug Milliken
Board of Directors 2020
Dr. Charles J. DiComo, John Hostetter, William Greiner, III, Lou DiFelice, Barbara Buchanan, Dr. Paul Petersen, Len Kasper, Dick Shaefer (Emeritus Advisor), Doug Milliken (ex officio Advisor)
If you are interested in getting involved in Society operations, please contact Dr. Charles J. DiComo – we would love to have you join the team!
- President, Call to Order
- Recognize & Welcome Guests
- Guest Speaker Introduction, Presentation/Lecture/Q&A
- Treasurer’s Report – Motion to Approve
- Secretary’s Report – Motion to Approve
- Consideration of Old & New Business
- President’s Agenda Presentation
- Vice President’s Report
- Social Media Report (Website, Facebook, etc.)
- Members Session – Open to Floor for discussion
- Door Prizes & 50-50 Raffle
- Intermission / Snack / Break
- Presentation of Scheduled Program (Internal Speaker or Auction)
- Adjournment of Meeting
The following is a partial list of the Society’s past Presidents. If you have more info, contact Dr. Charles J. DiComo.
|2021||1987||James G. Boyles||1953|
|2020||Dr. Charles J. DiComo||1986||James G. Boyles||1952|
|2019||Dr. Charles J. DiComo||1985||James G. Boyles||1951|
|2018||Dr. Charles J. DiComo||1984||James G. Boyles||1950||Robert R. Maxwell|
|2017||Doug Milliken||1983||James G. Boyles||1949|
|2016||Hal Klein||1982||James G. Boyles||1948|
|2015||William Greiner, III||1981||1947|
|2013||Robert D. Noble||1979||1945|
|2011||John M. Bray||1977||1943|
|2010||John R. Ahlfeld||1976||1942|
|2009||William P. Snyder||1975||1941|
|2007||Robert D. Noble||1973||1939||Mr. Meckel|
|2006||Lou DiFelice||1972||1938||E.F. Evans|
|2005||Al Schaub||1971||1937||Reverend C.E. Berghaus|
|2004||Marilyn Shirley||1970||1936||Thomas A. Keller|
|2003||Paul Petersen||1969||Milton Brown||1935|
|2002||James G. Boyles||1968||1934||Edgar W. Worrest|
|2000||Peter S. Billis||1966||1932|
|1999||William Greiner, II||1965||1931|
|1997||Lucy Eyster||1963||1929||Rev. M.J. Hoeppner|
|1996||Peter S. Billis||1962||1928|
|1994||William Greiner, II||1960||1926|
From the Archives
The Philatelic Society of Lancaster County (PSLC) Revised By-Laws booklet, along with amendment to Article II, Section 3, all adopted at the October meeting in 1962.
Charles J. DiComo, PhD
Charles is a life-long philatelist and active in the philatelic community. He is the Editor-in-Chief of The Chairman’s Chatter, Editorial Proofreader for The Chronicle, Webmaster and Life Member of the U.S. Philatelic Classics Society, and has held Officer and Board roles. He is also the President, Web Designer/Developer of the Philatelic Society of Lancaster County as well as President and Webmaster of the Empire State Postal History Society. Charles served for 9 years on the Council of Philatelists at the Smithsonian Institution’s National Postal Museum, co-leading the new initiatives committee and contributing to the NPM’s Arago website launched in 2006 – an online resource for the study of philately and postal operations. He is also a Charter member of The Philatelic Gathering founded in West Chester PA in 2018, whose mission is to share the love of philately with others.
Over the years, Charles has received a number of honors. In 2014, he received the U.S. Philatelic Classics Society Lester Brookman Cup for giving unselfishly his time and effort to transforming the USPCS website into a highly effective electronic gateway for the Society and philatelic community. In 2017, he received the APS’ Spark Plug Award in recognition of his positive impact and achievements in enhancing and growing the Philatelic Society of Lancaster Country, APS Chapter 173. In the 2018 American Philatelic Society Website Award Competition, three Gold Medals (out of 8 awarded) went to websites that Charles developed, designed and currently administers. These are the U.S. Philatelic Classics Society, the Philatelic Society of Lancaster County and the Empire State Postal History Society. This award recognizes website excellence and exemplifies the very best that is happening out in the local stamp and postal history communities.
In 2019, he was awarded the APS Article of Distinction for An 1845 “Ship Letter” from Port-au-Prince, Hispaniola to New York City on the Brig Hayti., which was published in the PSLC Newsletter, Vol. 82, No. 1, January 2019. You can also view the article and other award winners on the APS website HERE. In 2020, he was the recipient of the Grand Award and Large Gold in Literature at the Sarasota National Stamp Expo and Writers Unit 30 for his work entitled New Plate Flaw Discovery: “Dash and Ink Trail” on 3¢ 1851 Stamp, which was published in The Chronicle 259 (August 2018), Vol. 70, No. 3, pp 215-217. He also received a Large Vermeil for An 1845 “Ship Letter” from Port-au-Prince, Hispaniola to New York City on the Brig Hayti.
He maintains active memberships in the American Philatelic Society (30+ yrs.), APS Writers Unit #30, British North American Philatelic Society (20+ yrs.), Pennsylvania Postal History Society; Reading Stamp Collectors Club, Red Rose Coin Club and the Society of Paper Money Collectors. He has also held memberships in the Collectors Club of NY, the Carriers and Locals Society, the Postal History Society, and U.S. Stamp Society – to name a few.
Charles is a noted specialist of the U.S. 1¢ and 3¢ Cent Stamp – 1851-1860 Issue, including plating, colors, shades, cancels, perforations, and postal history. He also researches and publishes on stampless Ship Letters entering and exiting NYC harbor during the 1830-1860 periods. Charles holds a PhD in Genetics and is an Executive at WellSpan Health, an 8 hospital, 19,000 employees, integrated health system in south-central Pennsylvania. He lives in Lancaster, PA with his wife of 20+ years and their two daughters. (P11DB) .
1. DiComo, PhD, Charles J., From the Grain Fields of Virginia to a Gin Distillery in Holland, Excelsior!, March 2017, Whole No. 25 NS, pp. 12-15.
2. DiComo, PhD, Charles J., An American Letter Mail Company 1844 Folded Letter from NYC to Albany – A Scarce New Find, Excelsior!, March 2018, Whole No. 27 NS, pp. 3-8.
3. DiComo, PhD, Charles J., New Plate Flaw Discovery: “Dash and Ink Trail” on 3¢ 1851 Stamp, The Chronicle 259 (August 2018), Vol. 70, No. 3, pp 215-217. (Grand Award & Large Gold in Literature, Sarasota National Stamp Expo & Writers Unit 30, 2020)
4. DiComo, PhD, Charles J., A Patrons View of the Bad Management at the U.S. Post Office Department in 1840, Excelsior!, September 2018, Whole No. 28 NS, pp. 3-7.
5. DiComo, PhD, Charles J., An 1845 “Ship Letter” from Port-au-Prince, Hispaniola to New York City on the Brig Hayti, Special Feature, Philatelic Society of Lancaster County Newsletter, January 2019, Vol. 82, No. 1, pp 5-11 2019 APS Article of Distinction Recipient.
6. DiComo, PhD, Charles J., An 1845 “Ship Letter” from Port-au-Prince, Hispaniola to New York City on the Brig Hayti, Excelsior!, March 2019, Whole No. 29 NS, pp. 5-13. (Large Vermeil in Literature , Sarasota National Stamp Expo & Writers Unit 30, 2020)
7. DiComo, PhD, Charles J., The Life of Hiram Vail and the Obsolete Notes produced for his Banking & Collection Office in Amenia, New York, Paper Money, May-June 2019, Vol. LVIII, No. 3, Whole No. 321, pp. 190-194.
8. DiComo, PhD, Charles J., The Life of Hiram Vail and the Obsolete Notes produced for his Banking & Collection Office in Amenia, New York, Reprinted with permission in Philatelic Society of Lancaster County Newsletter, July-August 2019, Vol. 82, No. 7-8, pp. 5-9.
9. DiComo, PhD, Charles J., From the Front Lines: Lt. Col. William G. Belknap’s First Hand Account of the Battle of Monterrey during the Mexican-American War in 1846, Excelsior!, September 2019, Whole No. 30 NS, pp. 19-27.