Philatelic Society of Lancaster County
The James Buchanan Chapter #173 of the American Philatelic Society
Chapter #118 of the American Topical Association
Welcome – Enjoy your Visit!
The Philatelic Society of Lancaster County (PSLC) is an award-winning, non-profit community organization dedicated to promoting stamp collecting as a hobby for education and fun, from the teenager to adult, from the beginner to postal historian, serving members from Lancaster, Lebanon, Reading, York, Harrisburg, Hershey, Allentown and beyond. For Membership Benefits and/or to become a member, click JOIN US.
2020 SOCIETY PROGRAMS
June 10: Virtual Monthly Meeting. Shall begin promptly at 6:30 PM and run for 90 minutes via Zoom video conferencing. For details to attend this meeting or any future meetings, please contact Paul Petersen via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call +1 (717) 299-5640. There will be door prizes, a brief business meeting led by Pres. DiComo, followed by a 60 minute presentation. We look forward to seeing you!
- Charles J. DiComo, PhD on The Development of Perforations on United States Postage Stamps: 1855 – 1857. Description: The lecture will review the events preceding the purchase of a perforating machine by Toppan, Carpenter & Co. (TCC); the inventors of the rotary perforating machine in G.B.; discuss the TCC rouletting trial period with Perkins, Bacon and Bemrose and conversion to a perforator; all leading to the eventual issuance of the first U.S. perforated 3¢ stamps in February 1857. On display will be many never before seen original documents and correspondence between TCC and Perkins, Bacon and Charles’ recent discovery of a 3¢ 1851 “brush stroke” pair, Scott #11P3.
June 24: Virtual Monthly Meeting. Shall begin promptly at 6:30 PM and run for 90 minutes via Zoom video conferencing. For details to attend this meeting or any future meetings, please contact Paul Petersen via email (email@example.com) or call +1 (717) 299-5640. There will be door prizes, a brief business meeting led by Pres. DiComo, followed by presentations below, with Paul facilitating. We look forward to seeing you!
- Rudi Andres, President of the Germany Philatelic Society. Specialist in WWII postal history and issues, with a sub-specialty of Immediate Post-WWII postal history. Title TBD.
- Show & Tell, Members & Guests can share in a few minutes their favorite stamp, cover, or other philatelic item and take a question or two.
July 8: Virtual Monthly Meeting. Shall begin promptly at 6:30 PM and run for 90 minutes via Zoom video conferencing. For details to attend this meeting or any future meetings, please contact Paul Petersen via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call +1 (717) 299-5640. There will be door prizes, a brief business meeting led by Pres. DiComo, followed by presentations below, with Paul facilitating. We look forward to seeing you!
- Mike Bach on The Penny Black, A Pictorial Tour of the Anniversaries: 1840 to 2020
2020 REGIONAL SHOWS, EXHIBITIONS & GATHERINGS
The APS 2020 Summer Seminar Online is going virtual! Due to the continued presence of COVID-19 in our lives and the social distancing being followed by all members of the American Philatelic Society, the APS Education Department has established a virtual version for this year’s event. The calendar of events can be found HERE. For more info, email APS Director of Education, Cathy Y. Brachbill, Ph.D or call +1 (814) 933-3810. We are fortunate to have three of our members presenting this year. We hope you will sign up and join us.
- June 2: Virtual APS Summer Seminar Series, Paul Petersen, 3:00 – 4:00 PM. Entitled Stamps and Ephemera of the U.S. International Stamp Shows, 1956-1986. Description: Enjoy a journey of U.S. International Stamp Shows from 1913 through 2016, with an emphasis on 1956 through 1986. View items from countries around the world that produced postage stamps, covers, labels, and other items to both promote the shows and celebrate each day of the events.
- June 10: Virtual APS Summer Seminar Series, Charles J. DiComo, PhD, 3:00 – 4:00 PM. Entitled From the U.S. to Farther India & Back Again: A Five-Month Journey of a Baptist Missionary Cover. Description: A Detective Story: How does one investigate an 1856 cover with 20+ cancellations and manuscript markings to determine the routes it took as it traveled from Warren, OH to Far East India to Boston, MA.? Find out the process taken and resources used during this philatelic investigation.
- June 17: Virtual APS Summer Seminar Series, Richard Colberg, 3:00 – 4:00 PM. Entitled” The Express Company Envelopes of Mexico. Description: Between 1885 and 1906 there were three main private express companies in Mexico: Hidalgo Express, Mexican National Express and Wells Fargo Express. Learn about these companies along with postage and express rates through the covers of that time period.
- June 21: Lancaster Some Sunday Stamp Show. Farm & Home Center, 1383 Arcadia Rd, Lancaster PA, 17601. Contact Kevin Kellman at (301) 524-9562
- August 30: Lancaster Some Sunday Stamp Show. Farm & Home Center, 1383 Arcadia Rd, Lancaster PA, 17601. Contact Kevin Kellman at (301) 524-9562
- September 4-6: BALPEX, sponsored by Baltimore Philatelic Society. Baltimore Hunt Valley Inn, 245 Shawan Rd., I-83 Exit 20 E., Hunt Valley, Maryland 21030. Contact: Carroll Browne @ email@example.com. Website: www.balpex.org
- October 11: Lancaster Some Sunday Stamp Show. Farm & Home Center, 1383 Arcadia Rd, Lancaster PA, 17601. Contact Kevin Kellman at (301) 524-9562
- October 23-25: NOJEX/ASDA, sponsored by North Jersey Federated Stamp Clubs, Inc. and ASDA. Meadowlands Hilton Hotel, 2 Meadowlands Plaza, East Rutherford, New Jersey 07073. Contact: Robert G. Rose @ firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 (908) 305-9022. Website: www.nojex.org
- December 19 & 20: Lancaster Some Saturday & Sunday Stamp Show. Farm & Home Center, 1383 Arcadia Rd, Lancaster PA, 17601. Contact Kevin Kellman at (301) 524-9562
2021 SOCIETY PROGRAMS
It is never too late to start planning ahead for 2021, speakers are requested. Please contact Paul Petersen. VENUE: Landis Homes, 1001 East Oregon Rd, Lititz, PA. For more details & directions, scroll down. Meetings, Lectures, Bourse and Annual Open House & Exhibition in the Crossings Meeting Room, 2nd Floor. Auctions in the High Conference Room, 1st Floor near front desk.
- January 13: Winter Club Auction. For more information, visit Auction Instructions. Download the Auction Lot Form HERE
- February 10: Dr. Charles J. DiComo, topic TBD
- March 10: The U.S. 1933 Byrd Antarctic Issue: Production, First Day and Other Uses, by Alan Warren.
- April 14: Exploring Postal History, by Bill Schultz
- April 23-24: 36th LANCOPEX Stamp Show & Exhibition, at the Farm & Home Center of Lancaster, 1383 Arcadia Road, Lancaster, PA, 17601. Show hours: Friday, 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM; Saturday, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Free Admission, Parking and Wi-Fi. For more details, click HERE. Click for
- May 12: Canada’s Roll in Union & Confederate Postal Cross-Border Mail during the U.S. Civil War, Ron Majors
- June 9: Spring Club Auction. For more information, visit Auction Instructions. Download the Auction Lot Form HERE
- July 14:
- August TBD: Summer Picnic, Memorial Park, Millersville, PA
- September 8: Fall Club Auction. For more information, visit Auction Instructions. Download the Auction Lot Form HERE
- October 13:
- November 10: Annual Meeting, Open House & Exhibition
- December TBD: December Holiday Dinner
The Crossings Meeting Room and/or High Conference Room at Landis Homes on 1001 East Oregon Road, Lititz, PA (Directions below).
- The Society meets monthly on the 2nd Wednesday (except August).
- Doors Open at 6:30 PM. Visitors Welcome!
- Come Early to Share, Buy, Sell, and/or Trade.
- Free Wi-Fi: Network = LHWIS; Password = landishomes07
- Contact Paul Petersen at (717) 299-5640 or email@example.com for more info
DIRECTIONS TO MEETING LOCATION
Landis Homes is located on 1001 East Oregon Road, also known as Route 722. Route 722 runs in a somewhat East-West direction between the Lititz Pike (Route 501) and the Oregon Pike (Route 772). You can easily reach this facility from either direction.
(1) From the North or the South via Lititz Pike: Take Lititz Pike (Rt. 501) toward Neffsville. Just 0.3 – 0.4 miles north of Neffsville is a traffic light at East Oregon Road (Rt. 722). Turn east, and it is two miles to Landis Homes, which is on the south side.
(2) From the North or South via Rt. 222: Take exit for Oregon Pike (Rt. 272). On Oregon Pike, turn north for 0.3 miles. Turn left on Creek Road for 0.3 miles, and then left on Oregon Road. Landis Homes is about 0.8 miles on the south side.
(3) Entering the Facility: Off Oregon Road there are three entrances to Landis Homes: an (1) East, (2) a West entrance, and (3) a middle or Main entrance. Enter here at the Main Entrance, the large building right in front of you is the Calvin and Janet High Learning and Wellness Center (this is the purple building on the map with #5 attached). Park here. The Crossings Meeting Room is on the second deck of this building, and is there is an elevator which you can take up one floor. The High Conference Room is on the first floor just past the front desk on your right.
From Lancaster: Take Route 501 North (Lititz Pike) through Neffsville. At traffic light, turn right onto East Oregon Road (Route 722 East). Continue 2 miles to Landis Homes entrances on the right.
From Lititz: Go south on Route 501. About one mile past the Lancaster Airport turn left at traffic light onto Route 722 East (also known as East Oregon Road) and continue 2 miles to Landis Homes entrances on the right.
From Harrisburg: Take Route 283 East, approximately 30 miles, which leads directly onto US Route 30 East. Follow Route 30 East to the Lititz Pike Exit (Route 501 North). At the stop light, turn left onto Route 501 North. Follow 501 North through Neffsville. At traffic light for East Oregon Road (Route 722 East) turn right. Continue 2 miles to Landis Homes entrances on the right.
From Philadelphia: Take Reading exit (Old exit # 21, at mile post 286) off the PA turnpike at US 222 South towards Lancaster. Continue south on US 222 to the Brownstown Exit. Go right (Route 772 West) a short distance to Rt. 272, which is at a traffic light. Turn left onto Rt. 272 South for 1.8 miles and turn right onto Rt. 722, East Oregon Road. (Speedway gas station is at the intersection.) Continue 1 mile to Landis Homes entrances on the left.
Reading Stamp Collectors’ Club (RSCC)
We are pleased to promote the Reading Stamp Collectors’ Club and their Program, StampShow, Auctions and other events. The Club meets on the first Tuesday of every month at 7:00 PM at the Berkshire Commons, 5485 Perkiomen Avenue (Route 422), Reading PA. For more information, please contact Mike Bach.
See you at the Club!
2020 Reading Stamp Collectors’ Club
Important Notice: In light of the recent national healthcare developments, the RSCC will be cancelling all meetings until further notice in an effort to participate in the state-wide efforts to safeguard the health of our community. In the meantime, we recommend staying calm, heading to your den and enjoying some quiet time with your stamps, covers and exhibits.