Philatelic Society of Lancaster County
The James Buchanan Chapter #173 of the American Philatelic Society
Chapter 118 of the American Topical Association
Welcome – Enjoy your Visit!
The Philatelic Society of Lancaster County (PSLC) is an award-winning, non-profit community organization dedicated to promoting stamp collecting as a hobby for education and fun, from the teenager to adult, from the beginner to postal historian, serving members from Lancaster, Lebanon, Reading, York, Harrisburg, Hershey and beyond. For Membership Benefits and/or to become a member, click JOIN US.
2019 SOCIETY PROGRAMS
CHANGE OF VENUE in 2019: The Society has a new meeting place for our Lectures, Auctions, Bourse and Annual Meeting. They will be held at Landis Homes, in the Crossings Meeting Room, 2nd floor, 1001 East Oregon Road, Lititz, PA. For information and directions, scroll down.
- July 10: “National Identity: The Stamps of the Series 1902”, by Roger S. Brody. This presentation will discuss the development of the first definitive stamp series designed and produced by the Bureau of Engraving & Printing (BEP). Host: TBD
- August 14: Summer Picnic, Memorial Park, Millersville, PA
- September 11: Fall Club Auction. Co-Hosts: Mike Marino & Joseph Berlin. For more information, visit Auction Instructions. Download the Auction Lot Form HERE
- September 17: SPECIAL Presentation by Dr. Charles J. DiComo at the Greater Philadelphia Stamp & Collectors Club (GPS&CC), on Banking in Pawling, New York: In the Village & Surrounding Townships, 1849–1929. For more info, contact Phil Russell at email@example.com
- October 9: Czeslaw Slania, Master Engraver-II, by David Hunt. Host: Lou DiFelice
- November 13: Annual Meeting, Open House & Exhibition. Co-Chairs: Len Kasper & Dr. Paul Petersen. Hostess: Diane Meek
- December: Holiday Dinner, Hosts: Deb Ehleiter & Company (Date to be determined)
NOTICE TO MEMBERS – Annual Membership Dues are Due!
Please remit your $10.00 membership dues to Barb Buchanan, Membership Chair. You can see her at the next meeting or mail your membership dues to P.O. Box 116, Conestoga, PA 17516-0116. Make checks payable to “Philatelic Society of Lancaster County.”
2019 REGIONAL SHOWS, EXHIBITIONS & GATHERINGS
- June 23-28: APS Summer Session, American Philatelic Center (APC), Bellefonte, PA (More to come on this, as Drs. Petersen and DiComo shall be presenting on June 24)
- June 30: Some Sunday Stamp Show, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Farm & Home Center, Lancaster, Kevin Kellman, Host
- July 20: The Philatelic Gathering, Chester County Historical Society, West Chester, PA, 10:00 AM. Details HERE
- August 1-4: APS/ATA StampShow/NTSS, CHI Health Center Omaha, 455 N 10th St, Omaha, NE. Details at StampShow 2019
- August 11: Some Sunday Stamp Show, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Farm & Home Center, Lancaster, PA. Kevin Kellman, Host
- August 17: The Philatelic Gathering, Chester County Historical Society, West Chester, PA., 10:00 AM. Details HERE
- August 17: Lancaster County Postcard Club Expo, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Farm & Home Center, 1383 Arcadia Rd., Lancaster, PA. Parking & Food Available. Info available on LCPC Facebook page www.facebook.com/LCPClub/
- August 30-31, Sept. 1: BALPEX, 81st Annual Stamp Exhibition & Bourse, A World Series of Philately (WSP) Show. Delta Baltimore Hunt Valley Inn, 245 Shawan Road, Hunt Valley, Maryland 21031. Free Parking. Details available at BALPEX 2019. New, less formal exhibiting options are available this year. Entry Form & Prospectus
- September 21: The Philatelic Gathering, Chester County Historical Society, West Chester, PA, 10:00 AM. Details HERE
- October 19: The Philatelic Gathering, Chester County Historical Society, West Chester, PA., 10:00 AM. Details HERE
- October 24-26: The Civil War, A Postal System Divided, American Philatelic Center, 100 Match Factory Place, Bellefonte PA 16823. Sponsored by CSA & APS. Details at Postal Exhibition & Symposium 2019
- October 27: Some Sunday Stamp Show, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Farm & Home Center, Lancaster, PA.Kevin Kellman, Host
- November 16: The Philatelic Gathering, Chester County Historical Society, West Chester, PA., 10:00 AM. Details HERE
- December 15: Some Sunday Stamp Show, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Farm & Home Center, Lancaster, PA.Kevin Kellman, Host
2020 SOCIETY PROGRAMS
It is never too late to start planning ahead for 2020, speakers are requested. Please contact Dr. Paul Petersen at firstname.lastname@example.org
- January 8: Winter Club Auction. For more information, visit Auction Instructions. Download the Auction Lot Form HERE
- February 12: From the U.S. to Farther India & Back Again: A Five Month Journey of a Baptist Missionary Cover in 1856-1857. The Challenge: Determining the Rates and Routes, by Dr. Charles J. DiComo
- March 11: The U.S. 1933 Byrd Antarctic Issue: Production, First Day and Other Uses, by Alan Warren
- April 8: TBD
- May 13: Canada’s Roll in Union & Confederate Postal Cross-Border Mail during the U.S. Civil War, Ron Majors
- June 10: Spring Club Auction. For more information, visit Auction Instructions. Download the Auction Lot Form HERE
- July 8: The Development of Perforations on United States Postage Stamps: 1855 – 1857, by Dr. Charles J. DiComo, PSLC President
- August TBD: Summer Picnic, Memorial Park, Millersville, PA
- September 9: Fall Club Auction. For more information, visit Auction Instructions. Download the Auction Lot Form HERE
- October 14: Great Britain Stamped to Order Stationary & Royal Household Official Mail, by David Hunt
- November 11: Annual Meeting, Open House & Exhibition, Len Kasper & Paul Petersen
- December 16: December Holiday Dinner
The Crossings Meeting Room at Landis Homes on 1001 East Oregon Road, Lititz, PA (Directions below).
- The Society meets monthly on the 2nd Wednesday (except August).
- Doors Open at 6:30 PM. Visitors Welcome!
- Come Early to Share, Buy, Sell, and/or Trade.
- Free Wi-Fi: Network = LHWIS; Password = landishomes07
- Contact Paul Petersen at (717) 299-5640 or email@example.com for more info
DIRECTIONS TO MEETING LOCATION
Landis Homes is located on 1001 East Oregon Road, also known as Route 722. Route 722 runs in a somewhat East-West direction between the Lititz Pike (Route 501) and the Oregon Pike (Route 772). You can easily reach this facility from either direction.
(1) From the North or the South via Lititz Pike: Take Lititz Pike (Rt. 501) toward Neffsville. Just 0.3 – 0.4 miles north of Neffsville is a traffic light at East Oregon Road (Rt. 722). Turn east, and it is two miles to Landis Homes, which is on the south side.
(2) From the North or South via Rt. 222: Take exit for Oregon Pike (Rt. 272). On Oregon Pike, turn north for 0.3 miles. Turn left on Creek Road for 0.3 miles, and then left on Oregon Road. Landis Homes is about 0.8 miles on the south side.
(3) Entering the Facility: Off Oregon Road there are three entrances to Landis Homes: an (1) East, (2) a West entrance, and (3) a middle or Main entrance. Enter here at the Main Entrance, the large building right in front of you is the Calvin and Janet High Learning and Wellness Center (this is the purple building on the map with #5 attached). Park here. The Crossings Meeting Room is on the second deck of this building, and is there is an elevator which you can take up one floor.
Below are the driving directions from the Landis Homes website www.landishomes.org.
From Lancaster: Take Route 501 North (Lititz Pike) through Neffsville. At traffic light, turn right onto East Oregon Road (Route 722 East). Continue 2 miles to Landis Homes entrances on the right.
From Lititz: Go south on Route 501. About one mile past the Lancaster Airport turn left at traffic light onto Route 722 East (also known as East Oregon Road) and continue 2 miles to Landis Homes entrances on the right.
From Harrisburg: Take Route 283 East, approximately 30 miles, which leads directly onto US Route 30 East. Follow Route 30 East to the Lititz Pike Exit (Route 501 North). At the stop light, turn left onto Route 501 North. Follow 501 North through Neffsville. At traffic light for East Oregon Road (Route 722 East) turn right. Continue 2 miles to Landis Homes entrances on the right.
From Philadelphia: Take Reading exit (Old exit # 21, at mile post 286) off the PA turnpike at US 222 South towards Lancaster. Continue south on US 222 to the Brownstown Exit. Go right (Route 772 West) a short distance to Rt. 272, which is at a traffic light. Turn left onto Rt. 272 South for 1.8 miles and turn right onto Rt. 722, East Oregon Road. (Speedway gas station is at the intersection.) Continue 1 mile to Landis Homes entrances on the left.
Reading Stamp Collectors’ Club (RSCC)
We are pleased to promote the Reading Stamp Collectors’ Club and their Program, StampShow, Auctions and other events. The Club meets on the first Tuesday of every month at 7:00 PM at the Berkshire Commons, 5485 Perkiomen Avenue (Route 422), Reading PA. For more information, please contact Mike Bach.
See you at the Club!
2019 Reading Stamp Collectors’ Club
- July 2: TBD
- August 6: Canada RPO’s, Richard Colberg, Snacks: Holly & Jim
- September 3: Fall Auction, Snacks: Holly & Jim
- October 1: “Great Britain Postal Stationary – Royal Covers”, by David Hunt, Snacks: Mike Matus
- November 5: “The Development of Perforations on United States Postage Stamps: 1855 – 1857”, by Dr. Charles J. DiComo, PSLC President
- December 7 or 14 (TBD): Christmas Luncheon